John Riehl, May 20, 2018
One of the things you'll see in a proposal from Just Right Software Solutions is a statement that any software we deliver (including website code) will be licensed under the
GNU General Public License version 3. In a nutshell, that license means:
- You are free to modify, sell, or give away the software
- If you sell or give away the software, you must extend that right to the recipient
- The software carries no warranty
Of course, we can negotiate a different licensing structure if you want, but we feel that open-source licensing is almost always in the client's best interest. Here's why:
- You won't be locked in to Just Right Software Solutions. You can take the code we provide to any other developer and have them work on it.
- You won't be liable for the consequences of distributing code that's protected under a more restrictive licensing arrangement
- It allows us to use open-source (i.e. free) software in the development of your software, saving you money
When you receive your proposal you'll also receive a full copy of the license (which you can also view here). Feel free
to ask any questions you might have about this.